Monday, October 18, 2010

Lasagna Rolls

I found this recipe for lasagna rolls on a "clean eating" website. Easy but a little time consuming, especially if you keep having to run next door to the neighbors house to "borrow" ingredients!
  • 1 tsp evoo
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1lb lean ground turkey
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes in juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 8 sheets whole-wheat lasagna (you can use rice lasagna if your going gluten free)
  • 10 oz frozen spinach
  • 15 oz low-fat or non-fat ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup shredded low-fat mozerella
1) So first I heated the evoo (Which I had to send my son to borrow from the neigbor, because I went to my cupboard and lo and behold, I was out!) and then added the onion, cooking until soft. This is about 5 minutes according to the recipe. I just cooked it until I thought "hmm, that looks soft". Then I added the minced garlic, which the recipe prompts you to then cook another minute.
2) Next I added the extra lean ground turkey, cooking it until browned. Then came the cinnamon and the nutmeg, which I mixed all up in the meat and onion mixture. After that came the tomatoes and salt. Cover and let this simmer for 20 minutes (I actually put on a timer for this part), stirring occasionally.
3) While this was simmering I boiled the lasagna "sheets". The recipe calls for 8 so I did 10 on account of the fact that at least a couple of mine always break.
4) In a bowl, I mixed the ricotta, thawed organic chopped spinach, egg (this time I had to run to the neighbor's house myself and beg for an egg, since my husband apparently used ALL the eggs yesterday for french toast and didnt tell me) and 1/4 cup of organic mozerella cheese. It was about here that I noticed that my sauce was starting to smell really nutmeggy and good (but not quite like normal sauce that you would use for lasagna). 
5) Once everything was all finished, I began taking the pasta "sheets" and slopping them up with the cheese and spinach mixture and rolling them up.A word of warning: I got a little crazy with the amount of the mixture on the first few rolls, so the last couple werent quite as cheesy as they could have been.


6) I coated the bottom of my 8.5 x 11 baking dish with some of the sauce mixture and then placed the 8 rolls on top of that.
7) When the 8 rolls were in place, I dumped the rest of the sauce mix on top and then coated with more mozerella.
8) Cover with foil and place in your oven that you have pre-heated to 400. (Oops, guess I shoulda mentioned this before, but hey, I never claimed to be a food blogger!) Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Here is where I would LOVE to share a picture of the finished product, but unfortunately, my computer has decided that I am not allowed to upload any more pictures of this meal for you to see it. (I swear theres nothing wrong with it and that it doesnt look horrendous, really, I cant upload for some reason!)

2 comments:

  1. Just FYI, 5 minutes in the broiler is FAR to long...well at least it was in mine. I should have gone 3 minutes TOPS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made that recipe before! Big hit with my fam. I was nervous because of the cinnamon and nutmeg though.

    ReplyDelete